Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wildcard Round

I recently found out a number of semi-finalists in the Funniest Person in Rochester Contest are getting a second chance (Sept 5th) to advance to the finals. Yes, that is how a Wildcard round works. I think its a cool idea, but I have one major hang up with it. The vote is 100% audience. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?
Allow me to elaborate. Normally in this contest, the vote is broken up to 2/3 judges, 1/3 audience. The problem I have with 100% audience vote is this, there are several comics who I will not name, that are notorious for packing the crowd with their friends for the sole purpose of advancing. (It's a quantity over quality issue, essentially.)  I don't think it offers a true measure of a comics ability. In a nutshell, I think this is a terrible idea. But the truth in the matter is, I don't have a dog in this fight. This is just an outsider's opinion. 

What do I know about anything? I'm going to go back to writing mean jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment